Great Ormside

Grid Ref : NY 701173
 

 
Great Ormside is a small village in the Vale of Eden set around a triangular village green, and was formerly the seat of the Viking warrior Orm.
 
The church of St James is now a scheduled ancient monument, and stands on a hill beside the River Eden. In the churchyard is an ancient cross socket dated 1643, and here in the early 19th century, the Ormside Bowl was found. This is an outstanding piece of Saxon metalwork dating from the 9th century, which is now in York Museum.
 
There is a large sycamore tree growing out of the centre of a flight of steps, which is thought to replace a preaching cross.
 
Ormside Hall is now a farm. It stands by the church, and has a 14th or 15th century pele tower, built for defensive purposes.
 
The ten arched Ormside Viaduct, built between 1870 and 1875, carryies the Settle to Carlisle Railway across the River Eden. The nearest railway station is Appleby.
 
A short distance south of the village is the Underground House, built in an old quarry on a slope of the Eden valley and commanding beautiful views.
 

Great Ormside – Ormside Hall and St James’ Church.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.

Great Ormside – Ormside Hall, St James’ Church, River Eden, and Viaduct.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.

Menu :

 

stats