Great Musgrave – St Theobald’s Church
The present St Theobald’s Church in Great Musgrave was constructed in 1845 to a design by G.R. Appleby, on a site that has had two previous churches. It is in a quiet spot on the edge of the village beside the River Eden, and is approached through an impressive avenue of horsechestnut trees.
The interior is light and airy and simply furnished. Above the windows are heads by the corbels to the roof beams. There is a monk with a scroll and a woman with flowing hair holding a string of beads. There is only one small stained glass window of a Coat-of-Arms.
Over the West door hang the crosses and crowns from the previous year’s rushbearing festival. Annually on the first Saturday in July, a procession of girls wearing floral crowns, boys carrying rush crosses, and adults, goes through the village to the Church, for a service of praise and thanksgiving.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :