The Eden Valley Railway
The Eden Valley Railway Company was formed in 1856 at a meeting in Appleby, then the county town of Westmorland, to build the line between Kirkby Stephen and Clifton just south of Penrith). This formed a link between the Darlington and Tebay (The South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway, or Stainmore line), and Penrith, and opened to passengers on 7th June 1862.
The Eden Valley Railway Trust has re-opened the section of line between Appleby and Warcop, and passenger trains are now running on here.
Appleby East railway station was built in 1861 and offered a fully integrated passenger and freight facility. The connection between the Midland Railway and the North Eastern branch was mainly used for freight working, except for a short experiment when North Eastern trains ran from Appleby West Station to Penrith, connecting from Midland expresses in to London & North Western trains into Penrith.
Cliburn Station was situated on the Eden Valley Railway between Penrith and Temple Sowerby. The station opened to passenger traffic on 9th June 1862, and closed on 17th September 1956.
Between Cliburn and Clifton, where the Eden Valley Railway joined the main line, there was a branch to the pottery at Wetheriggs.
The Stainmore Railway Company is a volunteer run non-profit company who’s aims include restoring the former Kirkby Stephen East Station and to develop the site as a Heritage Centre and working railway representing the early 1950’s. There are several steam and diesel trains, and a short stretch of track for train rides.
It is hoped to eventually connect with the Eden Valley Railway to make a railway all the way from Kirkby Stephen to Appleby.
Related Links :
- The Eden Valley Railway trust
- The Eden Valley - map of the route
- The Eden Valley and Stainmore Railway – Clifton & Lowther Station
- Stainmore Railway Company at Kirkby Stephen East
- The Eden Valley Railway
- The Eden Valley and Stainmore Railway – History
- Wikipedia – The Eden Valley Railway