Grid Ref : NY 611297
The Culgaith Parish is in the beautiful Eden Valley situated between the Lake District and the Northern Pennines and sits under the highest point of the Pennines, Cross Fell.
It lies between the ancient market towns of Appleby and Penrith.
The Culgaith Parish comprises 4 communities – Culgaith the largest village, Skirwith, Blencarn and the hamlet of Kirkland. Bounded on the West by the River Eden, to the North by Ousby and Langwathby, the South by Crowdundle Beck and on the East by Cross Fell. The Parish is attractively and rurally located within the North Pennines – an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
There is easy access to the Famous Settle to Carlisle Railway line which passes through the village, as well as a “Fellrunner” Minibus service which makes regular visits to local towns & villages.
Numerous activities are available close to the village such as Golf, Swimming, Shooting, Cycling, Steam Train Spotting, Boating & Yachting, Canoeing & Kayaking, Mountain Walking, Climbing & Abseiling, Quad Biking Treks, Archery & Horse Riding.
There is one pub in Culgaith, The Black Swan, which also offers food and accommodation.
At Hazel Dene Garden Centre, you can get plants and other gardening requirements, newspapers and magazines, gifts and fine foods. Mrs Millers Tearoom provides morning coffee, lunches and afternoon tea, and is designed to reflect the Golden Age of Steam, being decorated with Railway memorabilia.
All Saints Church was founded at an early period, by a lord of the manor, as a chapel-of-ease to Kirkland. The old building having become very dilapidated, was taken down in 1756, and the present one erected on the site. It is a plain but neat cruciform structure. The church underwent some slight restoration in 1869, when a porch, vestry, and east window were added.
The churchyard has many old gravestones, and the views of Cross Fell and the Pennines are spectacular on a clear day.
Culgaith level crossing and signal box is at the southern end of the closed railway station on the famous Carlisle Settle Railway. The signal box is a Midland Railway type 4a design, built in 1908, and controls the level crossing. The nearest working station is at Langwathby (about 3 miles).
Just outside the village is Acorn Bank – a National Trust house, Walled Garden, restored mill, and riverside Walk, and Winderwath gardens.