Grid Ref : NY 622148
Crosby Ravensworth is a village four miles E. by N. of Shap, and five miles S.W. of Appleby-in-Westmorland, in an area of great antiquity, with some 90 sites of prehistoric village settlements nearby.
Long before the first church was established, early believers congregated around wooded or stone crosses for worship. In the Churchyard of Crosby Ravensworth is a 7th Century cross shaft. St Lawrence’s Church has been called a Cathedral in miniature, and has a lovely peaceful setting beside the Dalebanks Beck.
Dalebanks Beck flows through the village, and joins the Lyvennet just beyond the church at Monks Bridge, near the old school.
“Black Dub”, south of the village, is known as the place where King Charles II stopped with his army in 1651 when he marched south from Scotland. An obelisk marks the spot and is inscribed “Here, at Black Dub, the source of the Lyvennet, Charles II regaled his army, on their march from Scotland, August 8th, A.D. 1651”.
Ewe Close is a prehistoric village settlement, on a stretch of moorland about 2 miles from Crosby Ravensworth village. There are earthworks covering three or four acres of ground, consisting of irregular squares, circles, etc, formed of earth thrown up to the height of from one to three feet.
Related Links :