Crosby Garrett – St Andrew’s Church
Location Kirkby Stephen
Grid Ref NY 730097
St Andrew’s Church at Crosby Garrett is splendidly placed on a steep hill, with views over the fells to the North, East and South. From here are excellent views of the Crosby Garrett Viaduct of the Settle-Carlisle Railway.
The chancel is the oldest part of the Church, and the chancel arch is probably Anglo-Saxon. The Church which belonged to it was widened and provided with a North aisle about 1175. The North arcade has three bays with round piers carrying flat, square capitals. The bell tower is 13th Century, the main walls 14th Century, and the arch is 15th Century.
Thw windows are interesting in that they contain stained glass shields commemorating people who had connections with the Church. The East window was put in about 1865, but the outline of the previous window can still be seen. The North chapel, originally 12th Century, but rebuilt in 1866, still contains a small medieval piscina and also a ‘squint’ or hagioscope, so that the congregation could see the altar.
In the porch of 1662 is a recess where in less peaceful times the priest used to conceal his pistol before entering the Church.
July 2010 – the church is currently undergoing a major restoration project.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :