Brough – St Michael’s Church
St Michael’s Church at Brough was built of sandstone in 1150 as a daughter church to that at Kirkby Stephen. The earliest parts of the church include the 67 foot long south wall, a window in the westernmost bay of the south wall, and the main doorway, with its Norman beakheads and chevrons. Most of the church is 14th or 16th century.
As you stand in the nave, with its arcade of seven bays, there is a feeling of the great sense of space. There is an oak roof which is probably 16th century, while the roof of the north aisle may well be earlier. The aisle, with its eastern chapel was built in the 14th century. On the floor near the stone pulpit is a tombstone in memory of Gabriel Vincent, Steward to Lady Anne Clifford, who restored the nearby Brough Castle in the 17th century. He died in the Roman tower of the castle.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :