Armathwaite – The Church of Christ and St Mary
In the beautiful valley of the River Eden, on the edge of the village of Armathwaite, stands this small and simple sandstone church. The Chapel was originally a chapel-of-ease in the parish of Hesket-in-the-forest, but fell into a state of disrepair. In 1660 or thereabouts, the Chapel was rebuilt by Richard Skelton of Armathwaite Castle, and remains to this day almost as it was built.
The Church has some fine stained glass windows. The east windows has two panels made by the William Morris workshop.
They show Christ displaying the nail marks, designed by JH Dearle, and Mary the mother of Jesus, designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
A booklet is available describing the history of the Church, and the windows.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :