Ireby Old Church
The chancel is all that remains of the former parish church of Ireby, which was built in the middle of the 12th Century. A new parish church was built a mile away in 1845, dedicated to St James. The old church fell into disrepair until 1880 when the Ecclesiastical Commission carried out extensive repairs.
It was declared redundant in 1971, and a program of repairs undertaken. There is one service per year on the last Sunday in August. The church’s oustanding architectural features include a beautiful arcade in the East wall, showing three round-headed lancets seperated by Transitional Norman capitals which date from about 1170. Over the door is a tympanum which dates from the late 12th Century. The remarkable stone font, and several other items, are now in the new St James Church. two nave arcade columns were recently reinstated in the churchyard after serving as gateposts in the village.
The Church is now in the care of the Churches Conservation trust.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :