Grange – Holy Trinity Church
Location : Grange Village
Grid Ref NY 252175
While standing on Grange Bridge, a young lady called Margaret Heathcote remarked how nice it would be to have a chapel in Grange, so she raised the money and within 11 years the Church was built. There is a photograph of Miss Heathcote in the porch showing an aristocratic old lady. The village school was built in her memory.
The two panels in the Church sanctuary bearing the ten commandments were painted by her. In addition to building the Church, she also built Borrowdale Gates, and Castle Crag House for the incumbant.
The most striking feature is the plethora of imitation Norman dogtooth decoration inside and outside in wood and stone. Castle Crag House is similarly decorated externally.
In 1922 a cross of Borrowdale stone was erected in the churchyard with the names of four Grange men who died in the first world war, and after the 2nd world war, three further names were added.
Go to Menu :