Bassenthwaite – St John’s Church
St John’s Church at Bassenthwaite was built in 1879, to a design by D Brade. It replaced a chapel of ease dating from 1470, which stands at the cross roads. It was built because the church of St Begh, near Bassenthwaite Lake, was too far from the centre of population.
Much of the cost of the Church was met by John Boustead of nearby Armathwaite Hall, and a few other local gentry. The East Apse windows are dedicated to John Boustead and his wife Augusta, and represent the Annunciation, Nativity, Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension and Pentecost (by Clayton & Bell).
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :