Vale of Lune – St Gregory’s Church
Location : Vale of Lune / Sedbergh
Grid Ref SD 634922
This Chapel was built in the early 1860s by the Upton family, when the London and North Western Railway was building its Ingleton branch and sent a Scripture Reader to the navvies.
Features of the building suggest a railway engineer as its architect. Attached to a cottage it is a plain building; but inside a delightful and colourful series of stained glass windows by Frederick George Simon depict river scenes, trees and plants, as well as birds and animals found locally. These were installed in about 1900 when the church was refurnished.
The church was once connected to Ingmire Hall, but is now no longer in use although it remains consecrated.
The church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Go to Menu :