Staveley – St Margaret’s Church Tower
Location : Kendal
Grid Ref SD 472982
In 1338 the lord of the manor of staveley, Sir William Thweng, agreed to build a chapel in honour of St Margaret. St Margaret’s Church, of which only the tower now remains, was founded in 1388.
There is one original three light window remaining, along with two tiny windows with moulded arches that appear to be Anglo-Saxon. The bell openings are no earlier than 17th century.
A plaque on the tower commemorates Staveley men of the F Company, Second V B Border Regiment, who served in the South Africa Campaign 1900-01 under Major John Thompson.
Wikipedia – Staveley, Cumbria
Go to Menu :