Natland – St Mark’s Church
Location : Kendal
St Mark’s Church was redesigned and rebuilt by George Webster between 1822 and 1827.
The church contains wood carvings by Leonard John Lancaster, who died in 1915 whilst preparing front line defences on the battle fields of Belgium. He was employed by Arthur Simpson, a prominent Kendal Quaker craftsman who worked along side many notable architects around the Kendal area providing wood carvings/arts pieces and furnishing for churches, houses and museums.
A green Kendal Civic Society plaque is mounted on the wall of Berry’s Yard, Yard 27 on Finkle Street to commemorate Arthur Simpson’s workshops here.
The church was once again redesigned and rebuilt between 1908 and 1911 by Paley and Austin of Lancaster. It would appear from plans at Church plans online that there were significant additions made to the original Webster rebuild. The church is radically different from its 1827 incarnation.
The current church is the fourth on the site. There was probably a ruined chapel in the village in about 1680, measuring a tiny nine yards long and five yards wide. The chapel had no cemetery and no land attached to it. In 1735, a new chapel was built about one hundred yards from the present church. More additions were later made, including the Webster rebuild, and the later Paley and Austin rebuilds.
Words and photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :
Ordnance Survey – SD 521892