Milnthorpe – St Thomas’ Church
Location : Milnthorpe
Grid Ref : SD 499815
St Thomas’ church was built in 1837 as a Chapel of Ease to St Peter’s Heversham to which Church Street leads. It was designed by George Webster to hold ‘600 hearers’ and named as a tribute to Mrs Thomasin Richardson, who gave £1,000 towards the building costs of £2,200.
The chancel and north porch were added in 1883 and the Church Centre, with an upper hall, replaced the gallery area in 1982.
There are many stained glass windows, by a variety of artists. The East window, by F. Burrow, dated 1872, is of the Flight into Egypt, Nativity, Ascension, Crucifixion, Road to Calvary, Passion in the Garden, and Jesus’ Baptism.