Mansergh – St Peter’s Church
Location : Kirkby Lonsdale
Grid Ref SD 602828
An original chapel was removed when the church of St Peter was built in 1880 to a design by Paley and Austin. The unusual tower at the west end has a saddleback roof which is topped by a handsome weather cock. The entrance to the church is through a rustic wooden porch, built to mark the coronation of King Edward VII.
Inside, clear glass windows and the semicircular plastered roof, with its braced arches, gives a feeling of space and light.
The lane leading up to the church is well known locally for its variety of wild flowers and butterflies, seen at their best in the late Spring or early Summer.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :