Lupton – All Saints Church

 
Location : Kirkby Lonsdale
Grid Ref SD 567809

 

Lupton - All Saints Church.

 

The little church serving the community at Lupton was originally built in 1867 as a Chapel of Ease. Built in local stone, the church consists of a simple nave, chancel, vestry and porch. The stained glass window in the east end was installed in 1925. The four painted friezes in the Apse were originally painted on the stone walls, and the present ones are faithful copies of the originals by Iram Clements. The symbols all have religious significance and visitors’ comments are welcome. The roll of honour of those who fought in the two World Wars is surprisingly long for such a small community, and is some indication of the rural depopulation of the area.

 

The church is set in a small yard, set back off the A65.

 

Lupton - All Saints Church.

 

Lupton - All Saints Church.

 

Lupton - All Saints Church.

 

Photos by Matthew Emmott.

 

Go to Menu :