Kentmere – St Cuthbert’s Church
Grid Ref NY 456042
St Cuthbert’s Church is mainly of 1866, with 16th century roof beams. Alterations were made in the 1950s. Little is known of the early history of this building. It has been suggested that parts may be of Norman or even Saxon times. It was re-roofed, probably in the mid-16th century, and the present ceiling beams are thought to be of that age. The building’s site, in the middle of a circular walled burial ground next to a yew tree which is around 1000 years old, would suggest a very early place of worship.
Near the pulpit in the church is a magnificent plaque to the memory of one of Kentmere’s famous sons, Bernard Gilpin, who was born at Kentmere Hall in 1517. Bernard Gilpin was a famous preacher in Henry VIII’s time, and a leading churchmen in the troubled times of the reign of Mary Tudor. He became a Fellow at the Queen’s College, Oxford, Rector of Thornton-le-Moors, Vicar of Norton, Rector of Houghton-le-Spring and Archdeacon of Durham but declined the bishopric of Carlisle. He wsa known as the “Apostle of the north” and died at Houghton-le-Spring, Co. Durham in 1583.
Photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :