Hutton Roof – St John’s Church
It is thought there might have been a church at Hutton Roof as early as the 13th Century. The present church, beautifully constructed out of local sandstone, was designed by Paley and Austin in 1881.
The church is situated below some striking limestone-pavement outcrops, known as Hutton Roof Crags. The view from the top of these crags is one of the most beautiful in the area. On a clear day, the visitor can see Morecambe Bay to the west, the Lake District further north, and the Pennines to the east.
There are several stained glass windows – by Shrigley and Hunt, and Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :