High Hesket – St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s church is made up of varying features from different centuries. The arched windows of the nave date from 1720, while the east and north aisles are from Victorian times. The chancel arch is 13th / 14th century. Features include a 17th century double bellcote and 18th century west porch. Bodies of people who died from the plague were sent here from Carlisle for burial; the church was built on the site as a direct result. A mausoleum of the Parker family lies in the churchyard.
Go to Menu :