Great Strickland – St Barnabus’ Church
Grid Ref NY 562230
St Barnabus’ church was built in 1870-71 by George Watson of Penrith, using fine local sandstone and Stainton sandstone. The steeply pitched roof supports an elm framed bell turret.
A simple interior of pitch pine furnishings remains unaltered. This sensitively designed Victorian rural church is a complete period example – built on a low budget and using local materials.
The church has one stained glass window – ‘The Crucifixion’ by Shrigley and Hunt, in the East Apse.
Go to Menu :