Grange-over-Sands – St Paul’s Church
Location : Grange-over-Sands
Grid Ref SD 408779
The Parish Church of St. Paul stands on Crown Hill, by the clock tower, at the top of the town’s main street.
The architect was Mr T D Barry of Liverpool, who designed the building to consist of a nave and a short sanctuary, a porch and baptistry, and seating for 200 people.
The original building consisted only of the central nave, but as Grange grew after the coming of the railway in 1857 it became necessary to extend the church. A north aisle was added in 1861 and a south aisle in 1867, with other extensions in 1875 and 1932. The fine oak pews and panelling were provided between 1950 amd 1953 by Col A.T.P. Porritt in memory of his wife and his son, who was killed in 1940.
The church has some very attractive windows, although none of them is very old. They are well worth looking at and meditating upon.
The attractive and unusual stone Clock Tower which stands beside it was built in 1913, using local limestone, and sandstone from St Bees.
Go to Menu :