Dufton – St Cuthbert’s Church

 

Location : Dufton

Grid Ref NY 685262

 

Dufton - St Cuthbert's Church.

 

St Cuthbert’s church is found along the quiet lane between the villages of Dufton and Knock. It is signposted off the road, along a track, nestling at the foot of the high Pennines.

 

The present St Cuthbert’s church is late 18th century and replaces an earlier stone building dating back to 1293. Many of the miners who worked in the area are buried in the churchyard, their corpses carried on horseback across the fells. The church is named after St Cuthbert whose body was carried across the North Pennines by monks from Lindisfarne attempting to flee the Vikings in 875 AD.

 

Dufton - St Cuthbert's Church.

 

Dufton - St Cuthbert's Church.

 

Dufton - St Cuthbert's Church.

 

Photos by Simon Ledingham.

 

Go to Menu :

stats