Dufton – Methodist Chapel
It is likely that the Methodists were active in Dufton in the late 18th century, as there is a record that in 1803 the village had a Wesleyan chapel. In 1820 a new Wesleyan chapel was built, with the old one still standing as a private residence now.
In 1839 a Primative Methodist Chapel was opened at a time when Primative Methodism was spreading quite quickly in the Eden valley. In 1831 there were 12 members of this branch of Methodism, who met regularly for worship, not only here but also from time to time they held ‘Camp Meetings’ on Dufton pike.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :