Drigg – St Peter’s Church
St Peter’s church was founded by Augustinian monks in the 13th century. When it was rebuilt in 1850 all the original stone and wood from the old church were re-used. The arcade of pillars from the middle ages plus the font still remain. Nave and chancel are in one, with bellcote and lancets. The nave has an impressively high single lancet in the west wall.
There are several stained glass windows, by a variety of artists, with the East window being symbols of the Evangelists – the Lamb, Pelican and Angel, by William Wailes.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :