Barbon – St Bartholomew’s Church
There was a chapel of east in Barbon, probably on the site of the present church, before 1610. The new church was built in 1815, which was very short lived, as the Paley and Austin designed church we see today replaced this one in 1893. The new church was built to accommodate the growing population of Barbon and the surrounding rural area.
Lady Shuttleworth laid the foundation stone of this church in 1892, and she also gave the stained glass window at the West end of the church to the parish. Building work cost £3500, with the building consecrated on the 9th of September 1898.
Photos by Matthew Emmott.
Go to Menu :