Bampton – St Patrick’s Church
Location : Bampton
Grid Ref : NY 521180
Most of Bampton church as we see it today was built in 1726-27, but it stands on a site where there has been a place of worship for eight centuries. It was first mentioned in 1170, when it was attached to Shap Abbey.
The present church consists of a chancel, nave and aisles, with a west tower. The interior, which is remarkable for its elegant oak pillars, was extensively altered in 1885, when a major restoration was undertaken. There was a new roof, with its arcade of oak, and a rebuilt chancel with its three light stained glass window. Some of the pews at the front of the nave are 17th century, one dating from 1684. The reredos is a splendid piece of craftsmanship by Mr W Grisenthwaite of Penrith. It is of English oak, and inlaid with holly, with carved vines. The pulpit is from an earlier church, in a Jacobean style, and cut down from a three decker pulpit.
At the west end is the parish chest, with three iron straps. This is the equivalent of the modern safe, and would have held church documents. The documents, dating from 1652 are now held at the Kendal records office. The stained glass windows in the chancel are by Ward and Hughes 1888, and show scenes from the gospels. The glowing colours of the East window are a fine example of Victorian glass.
The lych gate was built in 1929, made of heart of oak, grown on the Haweswater estate, and given by Manchester Corporation. The massive ornamental hinges were made by Mr McCormick, the local blacksmith.