Culgaith Signal Box and Crossing
Culgaith level crossing and signal box is at the southern end of the closed railway station. The signal box is a Midland Railway type 4a design, built in 1908, and controls the first level crossing on the line heading northwards – the only other level crossing is at Low House.
Culgaith Station, closed in 1970, is the only station on the Settle-Carlisle Railway with non-standard buildings, possibly because it was opened four years after the other stations in 1880. It is now a private residence. The station master had a small cottage rather than the normal substantial house.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :