Gilsland – Triermain Castle
Triermain castle was probably built around 1340 using stone from Hadrian’s Wall. It stands on a small glacial mound, and is quadrangular in plan with towers on the east and west sides. It was surrounded by a curtain wall, and a moat which has now been partially filled in. The moat measures up to 5m wide and 1m deep where it survives.
It was in ruins by the end of the 16th Century, and the remains of the monument include the ruins of an internal building and a fragment of the gatehouse to the rear. The tower was demolished at the end of the 17th Century, and most of the stonework collapsed a few years after, with the stone being used in adjacent farm buildings.
The main internal building measured 22m by 21m, but only a corner survives. This is the SE angle of the gatehouse, originally 9.14m high, and is still nearly its original height.
A licence to crenellate was granted in 1340 to Roland Vaux.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Related Links :
Go to Menu :