Ivegill – Thistlewood Tower

Location : Ivegill

Grid Ref : NY 396436
 

 

Thistlewood Tower was built on land granted by act of parliament to a Norman Knight, Thomas de Beaulieu of “Thistlethwaite”, in 1332 and later passed into the hands of the warrier-like Dacre family. It is a Grade 1 listed 14th century tower house, with adjoining 16th century five bay house.

 

The Tower was built on land granted by act of parliament to a Norman Knight, Thomas de Beaulieu of “Thistlethwaite”, in 1332 and later passed into the hands of the warrier-like Dacre family.

 

For the last 100 years it was used as accommodation for farm workers at the Thistlewood Farm before falling into neglect.

 

It is 2.5 miles south east of Rose Castle, about half a mile from Highead Castle, and some 9 miles south of Carlisle.

 

 

The propery is now owned by the Vivat Trust, and is available for rent. There is also a one bedroom byre that provides additional accommodation.

 

There is another Vivat Trust property at Stonegarthside Hall.

 

Go to Menu :

stats