Nicholforest – Stonegarthside Hall
Location : Nicholforest
Grid Ref : NY 480818
Almost on the England Scotland border, Stonegarthside Hall is an unusual and forbidding three story house with an H-plan, with four stepped gables. It carries a date – 1682.
Built in the Scottish Baronial style, it is possibly a former tower house built in the late C13, with wings added in 1682 by Henry Forster, a prominent family in the region.
It has fine crow-stepped gables and decorated quoins or corner stones. Two flanking parallel wings are linked by a cross wall, creating an enclosed central courtyard, which was originally covered with a flat lead roof. The cross wall is topped by a battlemented parapet built out of fine ashlar blocks and pierced by quatrefoils.
It has been described as ‘arguably the most remote country house in England’.
It is located high above the banks of the River Liddel in the ancient Forest of Nichol, about half a mile from the Scottish border. The Hall lies on the edge of historically disputed territories which used to be known as ‘The Debateable Lands’.
It is on the edge of Kershope Forest, near the village of Kershopefoot, and the route of the old Waverley Line railway to Scotland.
The propery is now owned by the Vivat Trust, and is available for rent – taking up to 14 people.
There is another Vivat Trust property at Thistlewood Tower, 9 miles south of Carlisle.
Go to Menu :