Kirklinton – St Cuthbert’s Church
The present Church of St Cuthbert at Kirklinton was built in 1845, replacing an earlier Church on the site. The earliest record of a dedication to St Cuthbert is 1374. The Church incorporates the original Norman chancel arch at the West end, and Norman pillars. Medieval gravestones are built into the tower.
A Church and Castle were built here during the 12th Century by Sir Richard de Boyville, who was granted the barony of Levington by Ranolph de Meschines. Nothing remains of the castle now, or the ‘town’ of Levington.
There are various memorials to the Appleby family of nearby Kirklinton Hall, now in ruins. The east window depicts Christ in majesty and the four evangelists. The other stained glass windows in the chancel show coats of arms of the Dacre family from Lanercost, who married into the Appleby family.
A church leaflet is available which describes the history of the Church, Kirklinton Hall, and the families who lived there.
Go to Menu :