Kirkbride – St Bride’s Church
The tiny ancient church of St Bride stands at the northern edge of Kirkbride village, overlooking the estuary of the River Wampool. It stands on an early Christian site, with its name first being recorded in 1189. The church is basically Norman, though the chancel arch is of Saxon origin, and the stone used to build the church may have come from a nearby Roman camp.
It is a good example of 12th century church, with a simple structure of nave, chancel and bell-cote. Items of note are the now blocked North door – ‘The Devils Door’, through which evil spirits fled when a child was baptised, and the chancel arch, in which hangs a 16th century plaster cast of Jesus being carried to the tomb.
The East window (by Kayll & co, Leeds) depicts the three Irish saints – St Bride, St Patrick and St Columba. In the sanctuary is ‘Christ the light of the world’, by Wailes and Strong, and in the chancel is a window showing the empty tomb.
A Church leaflet describes the history of the Church.
Go to Menu :