Kirkandrews-upon-Esk – St Andrew’s Church
The Church of St Andrew is the estate church for Netherby Hall, on the other side of the River Esk. It was built in 1776 in red sandstone and is of an unusual rectangular design. The west tower houses a large clock, and this is topped by an open rotunda of columns and a stone cap.
The screen and reredos, Italian in style in green and gold, and rather Comperish, is by Temple Moore.
There are four stained glass windows in the nave, in the 15th Century Rhenish style, probably suggested by Temple Moore who had at that time been involved in the Church re-decoration in 1893. They are probably by Shrigley and Hunt, and depict the Crucufixion, the Adoration of the Magi, the Nativity and Christ and Mary Magdalene in the Garden. The other window in the Church is a view of the Church from the opposite bank of the River Esk.
The sundial clock on St Andrew’s church is dedicated to the safe return of two Graham brothers from World War 1.
After darkness light. For our two dear sons FFG & RPG who lived to come home from the great war. Thanks be to God alone.”
Nearby is Kirkandrews Tower, built in the 16th Century as a defensive pele tower.
Photos by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :