Hayton – Edmond Castle
Edmond Castle, one mile north of the village of Hayton, between Carslisle and Brampton, was designed by Sir Robert Smirke between 1824 and 1829, though it contains parts from an earlier building. It is in the tudor style, with an ashlar face.
It was the original seat of the Grahams of Edmond Castle, used as an approved school during the 1940s, and later became a country house hotel. It was sold again in 2005.
Do not get confused with the village of Hayton, near Aspatria in West Cumbria, also with a castle.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :