Grid Ref NY 370502
Dalston is largely a dormitory suberb of Carlsile, south 4 miles south of the City. Its earlier prosperity was based on cotton and flax industries, mainly introduced by the industrialist George Hodgson of Manchester. The village square, which is not square, has a number of small 18th century houses.
The red sandstone church of St Michael in the village square, has a chancel that dates from the 13th Century, and the graves of two bishops of Carlisle. The present church was built in 1750, and restored in 1850.
The entrance side of Dalston Hall is almost entirely of 1899, by C.J. Ferguson, but the garden side shows a house of considerable interest to the architectural historian. On the right is a pele tower with battlements and a high stair tower. There are Coats of Arms on this, and below the battlements is an inscription : Iohn Dalston Elisabet mi wyf mad ys byldyng– probable date – 1500. To the left of this inscription is a dog and a cat. There are water spouts like decorated gun-barrels.
To the left is a projecting slimmer tower, probably 17th century characterised by curious motifs, not normally seen in Cumberland. Inside is the original iron gate or yatt to the tower.
About two miles south of Dalston is Rose castle – residence of the Bishop of Carlisle.
There are 96 listed buildings in the Dalston parish, including one grade I – Rose Castle, and four grade II* – Dalston Hall, St Michael’s Church, Hawkesdale Hall, and Rose Castle dovecote. See list.
There is a Nestlé plant in Dalston, which produces powdered milk and instant Cappuccino products, employing about 200 people.
Lime House School was established in 1899, and is a fully independent co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 3–18.
- Dalston Hall Hotel – historic 4* hotel set in magnificent landscaped gardens. A spectacular wedding venue.
- Thornfield Luxury Ensuite Camping Cabins – with Hot Tubs and Fire Pits. In a tranquil rural location. Pet and family friendly