The entrance side of Dalston Hall is almost entirely of 1899, by C.J. Ferguson, but the garden side shows a house of considerable interest to the architectural historian. Looking ahead beyond the entrance is the pele tower with battlements and a high stair tower. There are Coats of Arms on this, and below the battlements is an inscription : Iohn Dalston Elisabet mi wyf mad ys byldyng – probable date – 1500. To the left of this inscription is a dog and a cat. There are water spouts like decorated gun-barrels.
To the left is a projecting slimmer tower, probably 17th century characterised by curious motifs, not normally seen in Cumberland. Inside is the original iron gate or yatt to the tower.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham.
Related links :
Go to Menu :