Cotehill – St John the Evangelist’s Church
Location : Wetheral
Grid Ref NY 469502
St John’s Church at Cotehill, near Carlisle, was designed by Habersham and Brock, London architects, in 1868. For many years it was associated with the Garlands mental Hospital, where the Vicar acted as Chaplain.
It was built from stone mined at Peascod’s Quarry in the village, on land given by William Peascod of Cotehill. It has a thin NE tower, with an odd stupa-like top with pigeon holes. In the nave are two windows designed by Henry Holiday, to St James and St John. The beautiful East window respresents The Ascended Christ adored by Saints, Kings and Angels.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :