Carlisle (page 2)
Location : Carlisle
Ordnance Survey – NY 403556
Victorian cast and wrought iron gasholders, classically designed with three tiers of cast iron columns connected by lattice girders, were built in the 1840-1880s. The design of a gas holder allows the gas cylinder within the holder to move up and down the columns on rails as it inflates and deflates. The holders were unusually tall for their period – over 100ft high, and requiring the cylinders to rise high into the air, and sink into a concrete pit, deep into the ground.
This shows No.4 gasholder, Carlisle Gas Works, 1878-9, by J Hepworth, engineer. Situated in Rome Street, near Carlisle station. The concrete pit is regarded as the first use of concrete in north of England.
This is one of only three sites for ‘listed’ gasholders in England [the others are at Camden Town and Newham, in London].
The magnificent Shaddon Mills was built by Peter Dixon?s sons in 1836 for the spinning of Cotton. The Chimney at 305ft high was the 8th tallest chimney in the world and the mill was the largest cotton mill in the country. Such a large, seven story factory could not have been powered by water. Steam power was used from the beginning. Peter Dixon and Sons was to become a major industrial enterprise. Initially the weaving was carried out in workers? cottages. In 1840 Dixons employed 3,571 hand loom weavers, namely 2,389 in England, 599 in Scotland and 583 in Ireland. But then a large building adjacent to the factory was built and several hundred power looms were installed. Some weaving was still done as out-work until the 1860s. At their peak Dixons employed a labour force of 8,000.
BBC Cumbria – pictures of Dixon’s chimney
The Dixon Family
The Carlisle United football club pitch is at Brunton Park, on Warwick road, and has a capacity of 16,651.
The first football clubs in Carlisle were founded around 1880, and the origins of Carlisle United, in their own right, can be traced back to May 1904. See links below for more information.
The Carlisle Racecourse is on Durdar Road, just off Junction 42 of the M6.
Horse racing in the historic city of Carlisle dates back to at least the 16th Century, and each year Carlisle Racecourse holds the Cumberland Plate and Carlisle Bell races, carrying on a tradition which dates back to that era.
The recent redevelopment of the Sheepmount area of Carlisle provides a state of the art sports facility. There is a new 2,500sq ft pavilion, athletics track and 32 acres of sports pitches, together with new approach roads and car parks.
Completed in March 2005, the new facility provides athletics, football and hockey amenities for local use, constructed to Sport England standards, that will attract national events, including facilities for disabled athletics.
The Sands Leisure Centre is south east of the bridge. The Cricket ground is north west of the bridge, and the Sheepmount stadium a little to its left. Carlisle Cathedral is in the lower centre of the picture.
Aerial photos by Simon Ledingham. Gasholder photo by Jan Fialkowski.
See also :
Related links :
- Carlisle Races
- Open Directory – Carlisle United
- Sheepmount Stadium
- Border Harriers – and stadium pictures
- Carlisle Airport
- Skyline to change as gas landmarks go – Daily Telegraph 24 January 1999
- Wikipedia – Carlisle United FC
- Wikipedia – Gasholder
Go to Menu :