Carlisle – St Cuthbert’s Church
St Cuthbert’s Lane
There was a church on this site dedicated to St Cuthbert in 685 AD. This was rebuilt in 870, and again in 1095. In 1644 Cromwell closed the Cathedral, so St. Cuthbert’s was the only church in Carlisle.
In 1778 the fourth rebuilding took place – the present church – in the Georgian style. All that remains of the older buildings is a 14th Century stained glass window. One extremely unusual feature is the pulpit, moveable on rails, and very tall so that the Vicar could preach to the galleries.
There are some stained glass windows telling the life of St Cuthbert on one side of the Church, and on the opposite side a window remembering Latvia, designed by John Rees of Carlisle College of Art in 1982.
There are many interesting burials in the churchyard, including executed soldiers from Bonny Prince Charles’ rising in 1745, and convicts from the City’s gaol.
The Tythe Barn, the Church Hall, was built sometime between 1485 and 1507, and has recently been restored after much neglect.
The Prior’s Tower (centre left), the Fratry, and Carlisle Cathedral.
Bottom right is St Cuthbert’s Church.
Aerial photo by Simon Ledingham.
Go to Menu :