Caldbeck – St Kentigern’s Church
In 1112, the first part of St Kentigern’s Church, which is still the heart of the village of Caldbeck, was built. It is built on the site of an original Church from the sixth Century. Since then, there have been numerous extensions, alterations and restorations, combining to give the building we see today. These are all well documented in the comprehensive Church guide.
In the North Aisle are two lovely stained glass windows, depicting St Kentigern and St Cuthbert, and made by James Powell of Whitefriars in 1938. Beneath the window are two ancient wooden chests. The East window has stained glass dating from 1867, depicting scenes from the last days of Jesus.
The baptistry contains a 14th Century font, with an octagonal bowl. Above the door to the tower are reset a number of Norman arch stones, with chevron and billet mouldings. The roof, rebuilt in 1930, has beams of Burma teak.
On the riverbank behind the Church is St Mungo’s well, a spring made holy by Kentigern, where the first Christians were baptised in the sixth Century.
The churchyard is the resting place of John Peel the famous huntsman, who died in 1854, aged 78.
Nearby is the plainer tombstone of Mary Harrison, the Beauty of Buttermere.
Photos by Simon Ledingham and Julian Thurgood.
Go to Menu :