Coniston – St Andrew’s Church
Grid Ref SD 303975
St Andrew’s Church was built in 1819, designed by J.Matson. It replaced an earlier church of 1586 built by William Le Fleming. The chancel and the low bays were added in 1891. The Baptistry West window of St Andrew has stained glass by Charles Kempe.
Many of the features in the Church worthy of mention refer back to the patrons and benefactors of Coniston – the Le Fleming family, who built Coniston Hall in 1270, and who have remained there until recent times, and the Barratt family who established themselves in Coniston in the 1820′s to develop the copper mines.
In the churchyard is the grave of John Ruskin, who died at Brantwood of influenza on 20 Jan 1900. His grave is marked with a large carved cross made from green slate from the local quarry at Tilberthwaite.
It was carved by H.T. Miles, to a design by W.G. Collingwood, who was an expert on Anglo-Saxon crosses, with symbols depicting important aspects of Ruskin’s work and life.
W.G. Collingwood, who is buried nearby with his family, also designed the war memorial, a Celtic Cross, near the South porch.
A booklet is available describing the history of the Church. Also available are booklets about the life and work of John Ruskin.
Go to Menu :