Troutbeck – Jesus Church
Location : Troutbeck
Grid Ref : NY 413028
The origin of this Church is lost, but it certainly existed in 1506. Instead of the usual dedication to a patron saint, it has the unusual name of ‘Jesus Church’. The whole Church was dismantled and rebuilt in 1736, and a major restoration took place in 1861. The massive beams are almost certainly from the original Church. Also remaining from the original is the tiny three light window in the tower. In the gallery hang the Coat of Arms of George II, painted on wood in 1737.
The East window always attracts the attention of visitors. It is remarkably large for a comparatively small building, and is very light and colourful. The glass was mostly designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and made by William Morris & Co. William Morris was responsible for the design of the greenery in the window. Some of the details are the work of Ford Madox Brown. Local tradition has it that William Morris and Ford Madox Brown came to Troutbeck on a fishing holiday while Burne-Jones was working on the window, and they stayed to assist him. Burne-Jones also designed one of the windows in the nave.
The Churchyard is notable for its yew trees, its three lych gates, and the war memorial cross consisting of a single slab of Lakeland stone.